RIA wins Hehong Square competition with ZER0CEM sustainability consultancy
Plot land, is placed south in a new area of ShenYhang city, with dimensions about 190.876 sqm. The whole complex, is 42 levels high at tower C, and it include 175.300 sqm over ground considering 4 elements:
- Building A, commercial and apartments, in the East end. Partial rehabilitation with enlargement.
- Building B, commercial and apartments, in the center, aligned to South. New built.
- Building C, for commercial use, hotel, offices, and apartments, in the Northwest vertex. New built.
- Commercial area, which occupies lower levels of whole block, with spaces to the exterior and interior.
Antonio S. Cordero: “The difficulty of Hehong Square competition lies in finding solutions that are both sustainable for the environment and attractive to the client. In an extremely cold climate such this, in Northern China, the influence of facade systems selections depending on orientation is crucial, and this becomes complex to solve with clients who always want to choose maximum transparency in tall buildings. “
Given the harshness of local climate, some recommendations have been proposed to begin working on design’s development:
- Consider BREEAM international certification assessment, which regulates sustainability from a global perspective,
- Select double ventilated skins on south facade,plus ventilated cavity system according to the comfort conditions. See more about double ventilated facades in China …
- Use opaque enclosure at north facade façades with high enclosure percentage (> 60%). Although outer panel may have a vitrified appearance to maintain an homogeneous aesthetics demanded by customer.
- Create an indoor greenhouse spaces system allowing comfort conditions throughout the year. This way, users can move around whole area without outer climate exposition.
Hehong Square competition development is carried out by a local private client who should be able to listen technical advisors to enhance the quality as well as sustainability consultants. Therefore, a deadline for negotiation between the local client and our RIA partner is now established, which will finally determine the scope of sustainable proposal and modifications to be made, so we hope that in the coming months we can start to really define sustainable features of the project.